Tuesday, March 06, 2007

in memory: Clara Skjerseth

My Grandmother passed away today and I wrote this to be read at her funeral as I will not be able to attend. I thought I would share it with you all.

There is a story being told.
Do you hear it?
The rocks cry out
The trees rejoice
The universe declares it.

It is a grand and glorious narrative
told every moment of every day.

It is God's story.

It is a story of creation and fall
redemption and justice
death and resurrection.

It is a story that we all choose to enter in one way or another. Within this grand narrative, we have a chance to tell our story, to make our voice heard, to testify to God's presence in our lives.

Grandma found her place and told her story. In little ways like silent prayers, hugs and kisses, smiles and letters. And in big ways like joining with others in the Church to partake of Christ's body and blood. Her life testified of her love for Christ and of her love for others, fulfilling the greatest commandments to the best of her ability.

In life, she was a testimony of one beautifully flawed human being who had entered into God's Kingdom on earth, and in death, she continues that Kingdom journey in heaven. And in so doing, she leaves a legacy of children, grandchildren and great grandchildren who have added their story to God's and will continue on their journey to someday be joined with her singing "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty who was and is and is to come."

At this time, I feel the loss that we all feel upon the death of a loved one, but I feel a greater sense of rejoicing that Grandma has entered a more beautiful home, her eternal home, where she is present with the Lord. Saint Paul said to the Corinthians, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord - and in that knowledge, I find great peace.

I want to leave you with a quote from Pope John Paul II
"Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song."

I think Grandma would agree.

2 comments:

John Lynch said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Makeesha. But I rejoice with you in your grandmother's overwhelming gain. Life and peace in Christ our comfort and firm hope of eternal reunion. Much love in the unity of our spirit, despite our temporary physical distance. - John

Ramedia said...

Makeesha,
I have many fond memories of aunt Clara. We will miss her but I know beyond a shadow of any doubt that I will see her again with a new body and in our new home. It's hard to believe it's been nine months since the reunion in North Dakota. Sorry to not be able to meet you there. Some day we'll have the chance to greet one another.
Bless you,

Ric McClary (Thor's sisters kid)