Sunday, September 24, 2006

Lovesong

A screeching violin

An old man plays

So closed off to the world

His ears are deaf to his own vile sound

But in is mind, the music is clear and pure

Sound waves echoing off bare walls

He smiles a toothless grin.

People stopped listening long ago

So he plays to himself

And to the few dying friends who have never heard anything different.

Can we be willing

To turn our screech into a symphony.

Beautiful

Melting the soul and awakening the spirit of all who hear.

For it must tear down walls

And open the vast expanse of the universe.

Harmony and melody of pure beautiful perfection

Played by flawed musicians.

If I cannot be more than a screech

Let me remain still

Let me die within the walls of my tomb

And bury me in endless silence.

But if I can play, and join in the music of heaven

Let it resound to the ends of the earth.

Let me be a song to those who have never heard music before.

To the world, who has only heard fingers on a chalkboard,

Let me be the music of God.

*David

1 comment:

John Lynch said...

Awesome...

I appreciate the idea of symphony, as well. Not individual instruments, but instruments coming together. This is such a potent & powerful idea... so countercultural, even for postmodern music-makers.

Thanks David.